A Natural History of the Senses


Suspended Memories
Foam core, fabric, straight pins, beads, glue.
2'x18"










Artist Statement

The relief sculpture, entitled “Suspended memories”  was inspired by the artist Kathleen Ryan as well as chapters from Diane Ackermans ‘A Natural History of the Senses’.  My intent was to visually communicate the magic of our senses and their connection to our memories. I wanted to colored areas to stand out so I painted the background black and scattered crystal and pearl beads around to communicate the idea of infinite possibilities.  I felt the work was lacking an element of disruption so I decided to cut out some of the foam core to add dimension and break up the space. I think this piece is significant because it communicates the importance of our senses and how it connects to our memories. The feeling of nostalgia that is brought about by certain smell or color is very powerful.This piece helped me to explore new ways of expression and abstract art and I hope to continue to using these ideas and skills in future work.









 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Longing

Momento